When you decide to remodel your kitchen, there’s a lot you must consider. What color should the walls be painted? Which appliances need replacing? What’s missing from the existing layout? If your current design doesn’t include an island, now is the perfect time to explore all that this feature can do to improve the functionality of your kitchen. Let’s take a look at how including a new kitchen island in your remodel can benefit you and your family.
The Functionality of a Kitchen Island
Part of what makes including an island in your remodeling plans so beneficial is that you can tailor it to you and your family’s personal needs. Depending on the size of your kitchen, your island can host many different features, or just an essential few. Some of the ways you can outfit your island to improve your kitchen space include:
- Cabinetry for storing dishes and small kitchen appliances
- Drawers for dining cutlery and cooking utensils
- Additional countertop for meal preparation
- Stools for a supplementary dining space
- Built-in appliances like a dishwasher, microwave, or sink
- Wastebasket or recycling storage
Tips for Designing Your Island
It’s important to note that not every kitchen will provide the space for a large island to be built. Although this feature is highly beneficial to have in your kitchen, you’ll want to ensure it is designed in a way that considers the rest of your kitchen’s layout and functionality in order to avoid issues with its placement down the road. Here are some helpful tips for designing an island that best suits your home:
- Have a clear understanding of the size of your kitchen, and take into account clearances and measurements that an island will require to avoid crowding your space and making it difficult to navigate.
- Consider the placement of kitchen appliances when designing your island, and note the amount of clearance that appliance doors will need to fully open.
- If your island is too small to house a large appliance, you can design it to provide extra counter space with cabinetry for additional storage underneath.
We Have What You Need to Build the Perfect Kitchen Island
At The J.F. Johnson Lumber Company, we specialize in providing the building materials and hardware that homeowners need to effectively build and remodel their homes. Whether your kitchen’s island needs cabinetry for storage or quartz countertops for cooking preparation, we have it all. Contact us to learn more about our home building materials and hardware store in Millersville, MD today.