Trying to decide the right kitchen cabinet hardware to go with your kitchen remodel? With all the options available, that can be easier said than done.
To help make sense of this part of your kitchen design process, we’ve put together this handy cheat sheet to help choose the right hardware for your kitchen cabinets.
Given how essential cabinet hardware is to your kitchen design (just ask our kitchen design team!), we wanted to create a resource to guide the many decisions involved with hardware, styles, and finishes.
Whether you’re renovating your kitchen or simply looking to update your hardware, this guide will provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions and create a kitchen that reflects your home’s unique look.
Start With Your Kitchen Style
Before you start wandering the aisles of your local home renovation store looking for the right kitchen cabinet hardware, it’s helpful to know the style you’re going for. This will give your kitchen a more cohesive look that creates a more comfortable space.
Below we’re outlining several common styles of kitchen cabinet hardware.
- Modern – Features clean lines, minimalistic design, and a focus on functionality. People opt for this style for its sleek and contemporary look, as well as the practicality and efficiency it offers.
- Traditional – Known for its ornate details, wood cabinetry, and classic design elements. It’s popular because it has a timeless appeal and cozy, familiar atmosphere.
- Rustic – Emphasizes natural materials, such as wood and stone, and often features a warm and inviting color palette which lends to the cozy, natural feel.
- Industrial – Consists of raw materials, such as concrete, metal, and brick, and a utilitarian design. Tends to give off an edgy, urban look and the sense of ruggedness and durability it provides.
- Glam – Features luxurious materials, such as crystal and marble, and often incorporates metallic accents and bold colors.
- Novelty – A playful and whimsical space often incorporates unique and unusual elements, such as bold colors, unusual shapes, and unexpected materials.
The Types Of Kitchen Cabinet Hardware
Now that you have an idea of what you want your kitchen cabinet hardware to look like, it’s time to dive into the actual types of hardware. More than just knobs and pulls, you’ll find there’s plenty here to dive into!
- Knobs – Round or square-shaped knobs that are attached to the cabinet door or drawer with a single screw.
- Handle Pulls – Long, horizontal pulls that are attached to the cabinet door or drawer with two screws.
- Bin Pulls – Bin pulls, also known as cup pulls, are a type of handle pull that features a semicircular shape. They are often used on drawers and come in a variety of materials and finishes.
- Cremone Bolts – Cremone bolts are a type of hardware that features a long, vertical rod that extends from the top of the cabinet door to the bottom. They are often used on French doors and cabinets and provide a decorative and functional accent to the space.
Kinds Of Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Finishes
There’s nothing like a finish to give your kitchen a delightful, design-forward finishing touch. There are a number of possibilities, so we’re sharing some of the most popular options, along with what kinds of kitchen styles in which they tend to be featured.
- Chrome – Chrome hardware has a modern and sleek look that you’ll find in many contemporary and minimalist kitchens.
- Brushed Nickel – Brushed nickel hardware has a subtle, matte finish that works in a wide range of kitchen styles, from traditional to modern.
- Oil Rubbed Bronze – Oil rubbed bronze hardware has a dark, almost black finish with subtle copper undertones that is often featured in rustic, farmhouse, and industrial styles.
- Polished Brass – Polished brass hardware has a shiny and reflective finish that adds a glamorous, luxurious flair.
- Black – Black hardware has a sleek and modern look that works well with contemporary and industrial styles, and can add a bold contrast to lighter cabinetry.
- Rose Gold – Rose gold hardware has a warm tone that imbues kitchens with a touch of elegance and sophistication.
- Polished Nickel – Polished nickel hardware has a shiny and reflective finish that adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to any kitchen, complementing traditional and contemporary styles.
Working With The Johnson Lumber Kitchen Design Team
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the choices available for your kitchen cabinet hardware, or you’re not sure which finishes or styles would work best for your space, the kitchen design team at Johnson Lumber is here to help.
Our team of experienced kitchen designers can work with you to understand your needs, preferences, and style and guide you through the entire process, from choosing the right hardware to installation. For help creating the kitchen of your dreams, contact us today to get started.