When you buy a home for the first time, it’s an exciting and intimidating experience to be a new homeowner. We all want to believe we’ve found the perfect house, but the truth is that many of us find imperfections throughout the first year of ownership. Either that, or we end up finding things we want to change or personalize in order to make the home feel more of our own.
Before these weekend home improvement projects start popping up, you should stock up on the primary tools that every new homeowner needs. Take a look and head to your local hardware store to begin shopping!
New Homeowner Must Haves:
- Tape Measure – There’s a lot of measuring done when carrying out home projects, but that’s not the only time you’ll use this tool. It also comes in handy when you need to figure out what size of appliances or furniture pieces will fit into your space.
- Screwdriver Set – Open paint cans, tighten hardware, and install wallplates with a handy set of screwdrivers that come with different size options. At the very least, keep a Phillips-head and flathead screwdriver in your home, as these are the most commonly used variations.
- Hammer – Whether you’re hanging wall décor or removing old nails from the walls, the trusty smooth-faced hammer with curved claw is a tool that is sure to get regular use around the house.
- Duct Tape – Great for quick fixes and sealing minor cracks or holes in plastics, duct tape tears easily, sticks tightly, and comes in a variety of colors and sizes.
- Flashlight – This is a necessary tool when you’re working on areas of your home that are below-ground where there’s not natural light or fixtures installed. Not to mention, it’s a tool you’ll be thankful to have whenever the power goes out.
- Pliers – Turn nuts and bolts around the house easily, grip pipes or nails, and cut wires safely with a good pair of adjustable pliers.
- Level – Ensure every line and surface involved in your home improvement project is perfectly level with this helpful tool that can also be used as a straightedge and ruler.
- Tool Box – If organization and not losing essential tools is important to you, you’re going to want a toolbox to store everything in.
At The J.F. Johnson Lumber Company, you can get all of these essential tools and hardware and more at affordable prices from experts who are happy to assist you with any home improvement questions you may have. Head into your new home equipped with every tool you need by visiting our hardware store today.