Choosing the right decking material is crucial for both the aesthetics and longevity of your deck. At Johnson Lumber, with over 100 years of experience in the lumber industry, we’re here to guide you through this decision.
Are you thinking about building a new deck or renovating an existing one? One of the biggest decisions you’ll face is which decking materials to go with. It can feel intimidating. After all – this isn’t just a color of paint you can paint over if you don’t like – it’s the bones and body of your deck. It affects how long it’ll last as well as how nice it looks.
To help, we’re using this blog to explore the various decking materials available in Maryland, their pros and cons, and some of our top picks for aesthetics, budget, and durability.
How To Choose Between Wood Decking or Composite & PVC Decking
The three main types of decking material are wood, composite, and PVC decking.
Choosing between them depends on various factors like your budget, how much time you want to spend maintaining your deck, and your aesthetic taste.
Let’s look at the advantages of each.
Advantages of Wood Decking
- Natural Beauty – Nothing beats the classic, warm look of real wood. It effortlessly complements any outdoor setting.
- Variety – Available in different types like Cedar, Pressure Treated, and Ipe, each offering unique aesthetic and durability traits.
- Cost-Effective – Generally, wood decking is more affordable upfront compared to composite or PVC options.
- Repairable – Wood can be sanded, stained, or painted, allowing for easy repairs and customization.
Advantages of Composite & PVC Decking
- Low Maintenance – Requires no staining or sealing, saving time and money in the long run.
- Durability – Resistant to rot, decay, and insect damage, ensuring a longer lifespan.
- Variety of Styles – Offers a wide range of colors and patterns, mimicking the look of natural wood.
- Eco-Friendly – Made from recycled materials, making it a sustainable choice.
Best Decking Materials For Budget
For homeowners on a budget, consider these cost-effective options:
- Pressure Treated Wood – Offers durability at a more affordable price point.
- Certain Composite Decking Materials – Some composite brands offer budget-friendly lines.
- Cedar Wood – A mid-range option that balances cost with natural beauty.
Best Decking Materials For Low-Maintenance Care
If low maintenance is your priority, these materials are ideal:
- PVC Decking – Virtually maintenance-free and highly durable.
- High-Quality Composite Decking – Like Trex or TimberTech, requiring minimal upkeep.
- Ipe Wood Decking – Although a wood option, it’s naturally resistant to rot and decay.
Best Decking Materials for A Beautiful Deck
For sheer aesthetic appeal, these materials stand out:
- Ipe Wood Decking – Known for its stunning natural color and grain.
- High-End Composite Decking – Offers a realistic wood appearance with varied color options.
- Cedar Wood Decking – Its natural beauty adds a classic charm to any deck.
Available Decking Materials at Johnson Lumber
At Johnson Lumber, we offer a wide range of decking materials:
- Wood Decking Selection – Including Cedar, Pressure Treated, and Ipe wood, each offering unique benefits for your deck.
- Composite Decking Selection – Featuring top brands like Azek, Trex, TimberTech, Wolf, and Evergrain, providing durability with style.
- PVC Decking – An excellent choice for those seeking a low-maintenance, stylish deck.
Let Johnson Lumber Help You Choose the Perfect Decking Material
Selecting the right decking material is a significant decision, but you don’t have to make it alone. The team at Johnson Lumber is here to help you weigh your options and find the perfect fit for your Maryland home.
Whether you’re looking for the natural elegance of wood or the durability and ease of composite and PVC, we have the expertise and selection to meet your needs.
Contact us today to start your journey toward building your dream deck!