Spring is approaching fast, and with it come the perfect ingredients for time outside: longer days, warmer temps, and an upgraded outdoor space built with reliable decking materials.
While the days should be getting more beautiful, we can’t say the same for your deck. Whether it’s suffering from a particularly hard winter or finally showing its age after years of good use, your deck could be at the point that it needs a little TLC.
But how do you know when it’s time to upgrade your deck? And which decking materials are the right fit for your project?
To get you and your deck ready for more fun and sun, we’re sharing five signs that your deck could use a little love, along with the decking materials we have in stock that’ll help you restore it to its former glory.
5 Decking Material Upgrades To Consider
Here are 5 signs it’s time to upgrade your deck and how decking materials like outdoor railing, outdoor lighting, and other decking accessories can help.
Wear And Tear
If your deck is showing signs of wear and tear, such as cracking or splintering wood, it may be time to consider an upgrade.
Decking materials like composite decking, which is made from a blend of wood fibers and plastic, can provide a more durable and long-lasting alternative to traditional wood decking.
At Johnson Lumber, we stock the following types of decking:
- Pressure Treated Decking – We offer Premium Grade pressure treated lumber, from Culpeper Wood Preservers, to all of our residential and commercial customers.
- Cedar Wood Decking – Hailing from the rainy Pacific Northwest, cedar wood decking is also naturally resistant to warping, cupping, and cracking.
- Ipe Wood Decking – Also known as Brazilian walnut decking, ipe wood is an exotic hardwood with a natural resistance to rotting, decay, and certain insect infestations.
- PVC & Composite Decking – Composite decking is made of wood fiber and plastic, which can both be recycled and repurposed, combined into a durable and multi-purpose plank.
If your deck doesn’t match the style of your home, adding certain deck accessories can give it a fresh new look.
One commonly requested option is the hidden deck fastener. These allow deck boards to be secured from the sides or from below. That means no unsightly screws or nails in the top of your beautiful deck – and less of a chance to snub a toe!
These hidden fasteners either go in by screw or with a plug designed to match the material of your deck. We currently offer the following hidden deck fastening systems:
- Concealoc for Azek/ Timbertech
- Trex Hideaway
- Camo Hidden Fasteners
- Cortex for Azek/Trex/Timbertech & more
If your deck doesn’t meet you and your family’s needs, an upgrade may be in order.
Adding features like outdoor lighting can extend the use of your deck into the evening hours, while built-in storage can provide a convenient place to store outdoor accessories like cushions and pillows.
To help make your deck more functional in low-light and nighttime situations, we offer many outdoor lighting options, including:
- Aurora deck lighting
- Solar lighting
- Dekor’s diverse and beautiful lighting options
- Timbertech’s Decklites line – features low voltage and high impact lighting
If your deck is no longer safe due to structural issues or rotting wood, it could be time for a more serious overhaul. If the issues are more minor, like you’d prefer more places to hold onto as you walk around the deck, you have a quicker fix on your hands.
Outdoor railing can provide a stylish and safe barrier around your deck, while other decking accessories like planters or built-in seating can add functionality and style. For now, let’s focus on safety first.
At Johnson Lumber, we have aluminum, wooden, and plastic railings in stock in an array of colors, styles, and finishes. Our most popular outdoor railings include:
- Endurance – vinyl
- Azek Premier – composite
- Trek railings – aluminum, composite
- Timbertech – capped wood, aluminum, composite
- Deckoraters – aluminum
- Atlantis Rail Systems – stainless steel
- Wolf – vinyl, composite
- Intex – Cellular PVC Extruded Rail System
If your deck no longer meets your lifestyle needs, an upgrade can help. Adding features like an outdoor kitchen, hot tub, or fire pit can create a more functional and enjoyable outdoor living space.
For bigger projects like these, you’ll want to make sure your deck can support the added weight of these installations. We’d encourage you to get in touch with our expert team to get recommendations for your specific space.
Browse Our Wide Selection Of Decking Materials At Johnson Lumber
Now is a great time to consider an upgrade to your home’s deck because you’ll have plenty of time to get the work done as the seasons are changing.